Our Story So Far
Thunders Home Bakery Story (so far)
Taste the most indulgent handmade confectionery, rustic breads & bakes and signature occasion cakes from Dublin’s only 50-year-old plus destination bakery.
Five decades on we’re still freshly baking every day. Our community of families, young professionals and retirees continue to enjoy our traditional approach combined with the latest mouth-watering innovations.
Simply put, our purpose is to make your special occasions even more memorable with our hand-made baking personalised for the greeting of your choice.
We aim to enrich your life by offering you more than just icing on your cake.
Whether you want Thunders signature ‘Enchanted’ Black Forest Gateau, Contemporary Drip Cakes, rustic breads or a hand-picked selection from Thunders irresistible Gluten Free range like the sell-out Ready Zesty Go! Tart, we have something for you.
Founded in 1969 by Mr. & Mrs. Thunder, that single shop and bakery in Upper Drumcondra expanded to two more locations in Phibsborough and Clontarf when their Swiss trained pastry chef nephew, Tony Lonergan, took over in the 1980s.
Thunders Bakery has now more than doubled in size since Sinéad and Stephen, having worked with Thunders for a time, bought the business in 2008. With multiple locations around Dublin, including Crumlin, Finglas, Clontarf, Drumcondra, Dundrum, Donaghmede, Phibsborough, Prussia Street, Swords, Rathmines, Coolock, Santry and the Liffey Valley Café serving customers like you every day.
You can order online, click and collect, plan your next celebration or recognise the hard work of one of your team with one of Thunders signature special occasion cakes or have your favourite Thunders Everyday Essentials delivered to your door — home or office. If you want to gift a friend, family member or colleague with one of Thunders Weekend Hampers or even a month-long supply of Thunders freshly baked Everyday Essentials we really want to ensure you’re spoilt for choice.
You see we truly believe in the values we share because they underpin the way we do things.
- Staying true to our 50-year-old provenance and signature recipes matters, so we can deliver that unmistakeable Thunders artisan bake every day for you, our customer
- Sustainability is central to who we are, so everything we do is considered in terms of recyclable, compostable and consumables because this ensures we have a positive impact on the environment and our customers’ lives
- Inclusivity and accessibility is central to our team and all we offer you, our customer — a generous range of products from the simply rustic to more luxurious for that special indulgence or significant celebration, including gluten-free and vegan options
- Being open to new ideas is central to what we think and do because it energises everyone and ensures we stay relevant, and continue to grow. It excites our customers, so we’re always open and keen to listen. We value feedback because this enables us to improve and ensure our reputation as the market leader in our field is well-deserved
- Innovation and a positive can-do mindset excites us because this enables us to deliver new and exciting options for you, our customer
In short, Our promise is to bring your unrivalled quality special occasion cakes and rustic bakes made from our time-honoured signature Thunders recipes, so they enrich your life every day and make your celebrations extra special.
Passion For Cakes
Coffee On The Go
12 Bakery’s and Our Liffey Valley Cafe
Join Our Newsletter to get all the latest offers, discounts & other benefits